17 September 2016

St Andrews map.

A rather long time ago I posted some map doodles of St Andrews, where I am currently studying. This is what eventually came of it.


This map of the town (and various Fun Things therein) was supposed to run in that year's Freshers Week issue of The Sinner, but at the last minute the editor decided it wasn't needed anymore. By then I'd burnt myself out trying to finish the whole thing in a week, so I put it aside, meaning to pick it up again when it no longer made me want to ugly cry tears of blood and fire. And then I put it off some more. And then I just plain forgot about it.

Some three years later, I think I've finally come to terms with the fact that it will never be finished. So onto the blog it goes!



Drawing icons is fun and wholesome. The shaving foam is a Raisin Monday thing which I could try to explain, but there aren't enough words in the English language to do the absurdity justice.


Our ruined cathedral is very picturesque, especially when tastefully accented by a red-gowned undergrad. History meets tradition meets technology, and Instagram rejoices.


It's a closely guarded secret that the stretch of North Sea near St Andrews is home to a cryptid known as the Half-Finished Swimmer. Legend has it that he stalks the waters near the pier, ready to snatch any hapless pier walkers who've forgotten their gowns.



St Salvator's Quadrangle and its chapel, AKA Sallies Quad and Sallies Chapel. When the sun comes out, the grass is swarmed by hipsters looking to max out their vitamin D and maybe get some reading done. Bloke in tutu is waiting for the Raisin Monday foam fight to start, shaving foam cans at the ready. And of course everyone is avoiding the PH.


St Mary's Quad, AKA best quad. Home of the Psychology and Divinity departments all year round and newly hatched ducklings in the spring, despite the best efforts of the resident cats.


Wouldn't be Scotland without someone wearing rainwear, would it?


And finally the Student Union, newly (well, newly at the time) done up in glass and steel. I went out clubbing recently for the first time in four years and ye gods does it wear you out. How do you whippersnappers pull this thing off multiple times a week?

Cheers, kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment