16 March 2013

February issue.


Funny thing is, the models for the cover were single when the photo was taken, but they got together sometime during the editing process. Cue the complimentary silhouette-out.


From my friend's column (something about our aggressively laissez-faire attitude towards the environment). Obligatory homage #1: thick-lined comic goodness via the magnificently quirky Dan Piraro, of Bizarro Comics fame.


From our In Depth article on different types of relationships. I think this one was just a filler piece, but its quiet simplicity pleases me.


Another one from the In Depth—this one (about cross-grade relationships) actually ran as the main art, if I recall correctly. Obligatory homage #2: the delightfully languid stylings of the delightful Taryn Gee, who was responsible for one of my most favourite illustrations ever.


Yet another one from the In Depth, this time about couples who were friends before dating.


On-off relationships. I love those two arms; they turned out a lot better than I'd hoped.


Final one from the In Depth, I promise. the writers requested a generic scientist filler piece and I made him a Cupid-esque psychopath because it's dangerous to give vague instructions to artists.


Super twee sports flowchart. The swim captain cutout in particular is a thing of sheer beauty. They had to rearrange the colour section for this one, though, because running it in black-and-white resulted in a more labyrinthine effect than I think anyone was entirely comfortable with.

BONUS


First shot at my friend's column; the blue ball was meant to be Earth, and the dragon is a callback to our school mascot. I like how you can see precisely where I gave up on drawing scales.


First shot at the on-off relationships illo. If IB Biology taught me anything, it's that real hearts > stylised hearts every time.


Second shot at the on-off relationships illo (sketch + semi-finished product). Reusing bits and pieces of discarded ideas is a bit of a specialty of mine.

(Side note: I covered fewer articles this issue because the new semester brought two actual, legitimate artists to the magazine art team. One of them is fantastic and wonderful and has a DeviantART page; the other is fantastic and wonderful and doesn't, sadly.)

Catch you on the flip side, ladies and gents.

1 comment:

  1. oh laras, you flatter me too much. you're an actual legitimate artist and I seriously love what you've done with the whole layout of this blog! It's absolutely gorgeous <3

    ReplyDelete